IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
I NEED A...
Number of Locations:
Jimi Hendrix's London»
London Album Covers Top 10»
Football Grounds of London»
The Magnificent Seven»
The London Rockstar Death Trail»
Monty Python Tour of London»
The Ultimate Beatles Tour»
The Banksy London Tour»
CREATE YOUR OWN TOUR»
The Elephant and Castle Story
The real story of why the Elephant and Castle are thus named.
Location: Elephant and Castle, Southwark, London
Description: There are many ideas of where the name Elephant and Castle comes from about on the Internet.
The most plausible is the most wrong, that it's from a corruption of la Infanta de Castile referring to any of a number of Spanish princesses connected to English history including Eleanor of Castile, Catherine of Aragon, and Maria, daughter of Philip III of Spain.
The second is that it's from the name of a pub (oldest records date to 1765), which places the pub in the same position as the area - where did they both get the name from?
Author John Timbs documents the story from the 21st March 1661, repeated from a pamphlet printed at the time and now in the British Library.
Some was standing on old London Bridge and saw a vision in the clouds of an Elephant with a Castle on it's back. Now, those times it was common place that if someone saw a vision then crowds flocked, in fact the author of The History of the Great Plague tells us that he was in danger from a crowd in St Giles, because he could not see an angel in the air holding a drawn sword in his hand.
This story almost certainly, once documented in rare written form, became famous in London, and pubs (as was the wont) were named after such things.
Tagged in this Tour: Weird photo ops
Tagged in this Tour: unique tour
London: Tornado capital?», 6.0km
Lets All Drive On The Right!», 1.3km
Stanley Green Protein Man», 12.km
The Necropolis Railway», 0.6km
Dr James Barry's Secret», 2.3km
Cartoonist Phil May lived here», 4.4km
Cheeky chauffeur lived here», 4.0km
Buttons...are essential..», 2.6km
A Grassy Event», 1.4km
The Battle of Blythe Road», 4.8km