IN THE NEWS
I NEED A...
Number of Locations:
Great London Eccentrics Tour»
Great London Explorers Tour»
Jem 10th birthday»
Top 10 London Landmarks: Silver»
The Krays in London»
Monty Python Tour of London»
The Ultimate Beatles Tour»
The Banksy London Tour»
CREATE YOUR OWN TOUR»
Once the Largest Furniture Shop in the World was based here.
Location: 149 Tottenham Court Road
Description: Now a retail and apartment complex on the east side of Tottenham Court Road, close to the junction with Euston Road, is where Maples Furniture Store used to be. Today it's a supermarket and computer store.
Sir John Blundell Maple (1845-1903) was a self-made, and perhaps the most successful of all Victorian retail entrepreneurs. He achieved great wealth, became a politician, a horserace breeder and a member of the Prince of Wales's set. His emporium here in London's Tottenham Court Road furnished everyone who was anyone in Victorian society and was better known as The Largest Furniture Shop in the World.
Maples manufactured their own luxury furniture in a complex eventually so vast that by the 1880s it occupied an area where once stood 200 houses. They were timber importers, and exporters of furniture and fittings to all parts of the world. They used steam power and electricity, had a fleet of horse-drawn vans, depository and showrooms, and employed a vast workforce.
Maples furnished palaces all over the world, including Tsar Nicholas's Winter Palace, the Hofburg Imperial Palace in Vienna, all the great hotels, and town and country homes.
Prestigious British embassies were all furnished by Maples.
In 1997 the store was declared bankrupt and was taken over by the retailer Allders.
Madness lead singer Suggs grew up in a nice flat above Maple's on the corner with Grafton Way.
Indiana Jones' Hat Shop», 0.9km
McLaren and Westwood's SEX», 3.3km
Jigsaw and Kate Middleton», 0.6km
Facts on Selfridges», 0.4km
Tip-Top Umbrellas», 0.6km
The first ever Tesco», 7.6km
Sainsbury's started here», 0.8km
Garrards Jewellers», 1.0km
Fox and Lewis», 1.2km
The General Trading Stores», 2.3km