Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
So What's It Called?
Five name changes over five centuries so why not pay a visit
Location: 250 Havistock Hill, NW3 2AE
Description: 1666...a fine year for public house 'establishing' and maybe a fine year for picking 'good' pub names as well! And so to 'The George' in North London.
Originally a pub site since 1666 (which is indeed jolly old) when the pub was situated on the main road leading north out of London. The pub then changed name in 1700 to 'The 'Great Tree'...then some time before 1800 it reverted back to The George.
Now the current building was built in the 1920s and was known by locals as the 'Scotch House' for a number of years due to the tartan displayed around the walls.
The pub then (for it's sins) changed name again to the 'Rat & Parrot' (what the!!) for a few years (thank god) until 2004 when the landlord decided that the original name would be a welcome return for locals and visitors alike.
And rightly so - here's a tip - go to 'The George'.