Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
24th June 1963 1st demonstration of home video recorder, at BBC Studios, London
24th June 1942 Born today: Mick Fleetwood, London, rock drummer (Fleetwood Mac-Go Your Own Way)
24th June 1717 1st Free Masons' grand lodge founded in London
24th June 1509 The Coronation of Henry VIII in Westminster Abbey.
Joshua Reynolds lived here
This is where painter Sir Joshua Reynolds lived for 16 years.
Location: 10-11 Great Newport Street, London
Description: Sir Joshua Reynolds occupied a large house on this site from 1754 until 1760 after coming to London from Plymouth in 1752 and engaging various rooms in St. Martin's Lane.
Sir Joshua Reynolds was the celebrated 18th century painter and first president of the Royal Academy.
He soon 'found his prospects so bright and extensive, that he removed to a large house here on the north side of Great Newport-street'.
Here 'his practice increased so rapidly that it became necessary to obtain some assistance, and he engaged Mr. Peter Thoms, whom Hogarth used to call Reynolds's drapery man, to forward the preparation of his pictures'.
Reynolds's first meeting with Dr. Johnson, in 1754, took place in Great Newport Street, at the house of the Misses Cotterell on the south side of the street opposite.
In 1760 Reynolds moved to No. 47 Leicester Square and his house was split into two houses in 1767.