Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
26th July 1973 Peter Shaffers Equus, premieres in London
26th July 1973 Underworld actress Kate Beckinsale born in London.
26th July 1966 England beat Portugal 2-1 at Wembley Stadium to reach the World Cup Final.
26th July 1950 Born today: Susan George, London England, actress (Straw Dogs, Mandingo)
26th July 1895 Born today: Jerry Verno, London England, actor (River of Unrest, Sweeney Todd)
26th July 1895 Born today: Robert Graves, London England, writer/poet (I Claudius) [or 6/26]
26th July 1891 Henry James' American, premieres in London
26th July 1842 Born today: Alfred Marshall, London, economist
26th July 1802 Born today: Winthrop Mackworth Praed, London, poet/politician
A once historic boxing location in South London
Location: 72 Blackfriars Road, SE1 8HA
Description: The Ring public house is all that remains of a historic boxing location in South London. Just across the road from this pub used to stand The Ring boxing arena until in 1942 when it was bombed during an air raid.
Former British lightweight champion Dick Burge started The Ring in 1910 after he was released from prison after being convicted for fraud.
It became a famous venue for boxing and wrestling that provided top-class boxing at prices the working class public could afford.
Before that The Ring arena was originally called The Surrey Chapel and dated from 1783. It was built for the brilliant church orator, Reverend Rowland Hill (1744-1833). The unusual octagonal design came from Hill's own specifications, 'for it prevented the devil hiding in any of the corners'.
It is reputed that the church congregations declined and it became used for cockfighting and was closed down when the authorities found out.
Together with his wife Bella, Dick eventually staged many boxing matches including well known fighters such as Len Johnson, Jack Drummond, Alf Mancini, Jack Hood and the legendary Ted 'Kid' Lewis.
The uniquely-shaped building was sadly destroyed in 1942, after receiving two direct hits from the German Luftwaffe.
The pub continues it's history with memorabilia covering the walls and upstairs is a gymnasium for local lads to try their hand in the ring.