Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
26th March 1985 Actress Keira Knightley was born in Teddington, London.
26th March 1975 Tommy premieres in London
26th March 1973 Susan Shaw, is 1st woman in 171 years in London's Stock exchange
26th March 1924 The Premiere of Bernard Shaw's Saint Joan.
26th March 1874 Born today: Gerald du Maurier, London Engld, actor (Power, Escape, Masks and Faces)
26th March 1840 Born today: George Smith, London England, assyriologist (cuneiform (script))
The Last Hanged Forger
This is where the the maccaroni parson was buried after hanging
Location: Saint Laurence Church, Cowley, Middlesex
Description: Dr William Dodd was the last person hanged for forgery - he is buried here.
A Doctor of Divinity, William Dodd, who had been Chaplain-in-Ordinary to his Majesty, George III, was so fond of elegant dress that he was nicked named the 'maccaroni parson'. Also a spendthrift he had once before been found out as a forger and lived on the continent for two years, while the scandal subsided.
In February 1777 he forged a bond for 4200 in the name of Lord Chesterfield. When the bond was repudiated and the forgery discovered, Dodd was arrested.
Despite the efforts of Dr Samuel Johnson a petition signed by 23000 people, requesting a pardon, Dodd was hung at Tyburn on 27 June 1777, aged 48 years.
Dodd had several works published, but some have been attributed to Dr Johnson.
There is an inscription on the porch here to Dr. W. Dodd, who was the brother of the then rector.