Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
23rd April 1959 1st heliport in Britain opens in London
23rd April 1925 1st London performance of operetta Fasquita staged
23rd April 1881 Gilbert and Sullivan's opera Patience produced in London
23rd April 1775 Artist J.M.W. Turner was born in Covent Garden, London.
23rd April 1705 Richard Steele's Tender Husband, premieres in London
23rd April 1702 The Coronation of Anne I in Westminster Abbey.
23rd April 1685 The Coronation of James II (and VII of Scotland) in Westminster Abbey.
23rd April 1661 English king Charles II crowned in London
23rd April 1661 The Coronation of Charles II in Westminster Abbey.
Great sporting pub off Oxford Street.
Location: 11-12 Wells Street, Oxford Street, W1T 3PA
Description: This wooden-panelled boozer looks dated from the outside but enter and it's a shrine to sporting champions basking in super stained-glass light.
The whole gaff is a tribute to England's first bare-knuckle boxing champion James Figg. Close to this spot he ran a training amphitheatre and wooden booth here to train pupils (mostly nobility) in the arts of self defence.
Following a refit in 1954 the brewers began to paint the current racing champion into the external sign every year, a marvellous gimmick starting with the first jockey to be knighted - Sir Gordon Richards in 1954. The trend lasted into the 1970's.
A sympathetic Samuel Smith restoration in 1989 has included non-sporting icons into it's first floor lounge.