Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
30th April 1980 Terrorists seize Iranian Embassy in London
30th April 1943 Noel Coward's This Happy Breed, premieres in London
30th April 1763 London Journalist John Wilkes confined in the Tower
30th April 1695 William Congreve's Love for Love, premieres in London
30th April 1290 Joan of Acre, daughter of King Edward I was married to the 7th Earl of Gloucester in Westminster Abbey.
Edward III's Queen's Park
Philippa of Hainault, Queen of Edward III's back garden
Location: Hainault Forest
Description: 'Hainault Forest Country Park' is one of the remaining sections of the former Forest of Essex in England.
Located in Hainault in the London Borough of Redbridge, it is 136 hectares (336 acres) in size, and the forest is said to bear its name in deference to Philippa of Hainault, queen of Edward III, belonged to the abbey of Barking until the dissolution of the monasteries.
In a survey made for Henry VIII in 1544 its extent was some 3000 acres.
The forest land was condemned as waste by an Act of Parliament, 1851, disafforested, the deer removed, the old growth forest cut down, and the land divided for building lots, for a growing London.
After public pressure to retain some remnant headed by North Buxton, a total of 804 acres (3.3 km2) of land, which included 253 acres (1.0 km2) of woodland and rough pasture) was bought for public use on 21 July 1906.
It includes the Hainault Forest Golf Club and a large lake, as well as a farm, partly for rare breeds of animal.