Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
19th June 1975 Missing Lord Lucan murdered the 29-year-old nanny of his three young children, an inquest jury in Westminster decided.
19th June 1973 Rocky Horror Picture Show, stage production opens in London
19th June 1966 RW Hardy photographs staircase at Queen's House, Greenwich, later finds ghostly figures on pics.
19th June 1964 Mayor of London Boris Johnson born in New York City.
19th June 1942 Born today: Neil Chalmers, director (National History Museum, London)
19th June 1925 Comedian Charlie Drake was born in Elephant and Castle, London.
19th June 1921 Born today: Allan Davis, Mayor of London
19th June 1890 Born today: Barbara Everest, London England, actress (Fatal Witness, Inquest)
19th June 1829 Sir Robert Peel founded the London Metropolitan Police (Bobbies).
St Georges Burial Ground
Grim burial ground with body parts hanging from the trees.
Location: Albion Street, Bayswater, London
Description: There's housing here now just north of Hyde Park on what was St Georges Burial Ground between 1763 and the 1860's.
A report from the Board of Health in 1850 describes body parts hanging in a tree, barrowloads of undecomposed body parts being tipped into a huge pit here. Most of the headstones were removed during the First World War so that the ground could be used for allotments and recreation, and in the 1970's it was cleared for the current housing development.
It was also called the St George's Burying Ground, in that old type language.