Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
22nd May 1963 A C Milan wins 8th Europe Cup 1 at London
22nd May 1950 Richard Strauss' 4 Last Songs (4 letzte Lieder) in London
Apollo Victoria Theatre
London's very own piece of Art Deco Theatre Design
Location: 17 Wilton Rd, SW1V 1LG
Description: Since opening in 1930, the 'Apollo Victoria Theatre' is one of the best examples of Art Deco design in London.
The cavernous auditorium and luxurious lobbies feature dramatic concealed lighting, columns topped with sculptured fountains, and beautiful chrome detailing.
The theatre was built by architects Ernest Wamsley Lewis and William Edward Trent in 1929 for Provincial Cinematograph Theatres, a part of the Gaumont British chain.
The theatre was built with two identical facades on Wilton and Vauxhall Bridge Roads.
The theatre opened as the New Victoria Cinema on 15 October 1930 with a film starring George Arlis in Old English, based on a stage play by John Galsworthy.
It was equipped with a Compton 3 manual 15 rank theatre organ, played on the opening night by Reginald Foort. The theatre also staged variety shows.