Wimble-gone: Plough Lane


Wimble-gone: Plough Lane

The former home of Wimbledon Football Club.

Location: Plough Lane, Wimbledon

Description: Plough Lane, now a housing estate, was the home ground of Wimbledon Football Club, from September 1912 until May 1991, when the club moved their first team home matches to Selhurst Park as part of a groundshare agreement with Crystal Palace.

It remained derelict until it was finally demolished in 2002, and then it became a private housing development known as Reynolds Gate, named after former Wimbledon player Eddie Reynolds.

The six individual blocks in the development have also been named after former players, managers and even a chairman: Bassett House, Batsford House, Cork House, Lawrie House, Reed House and Stannard House!

It's capacity at it's peak was 15,876 and Wimbledon FC controversially moved to Milton Keynes, leaving supporters to fund a new local club AFC Wimbledon.

Tours: Football Grounds of London

Themes: SportSport Theme
Wimble-gone: Plough Lane

The former home of Wimbledon Football Club.

Ranking This Month: 1025/2920

Pages Hit This Month: 41


Other places nearby:


The 2012 Olympic Stadium», 10.km

World Cup was stolen from here», 5.5km

Freemasons Arms: Birth of FA», 6.6km

Herne Hill Velodrome», 4.4km

Bloodgate Source», 2.6km

Charlie Buchan was born here», 12.km

Bobby 'Dazzler' George», 12.km

Herbert Chapman lived here», 10.km

George Best lived here», 4.0km

Henry VIII's tennis court», 6.6km

Location Pinpointed: