Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
15th December 1969 Plastic Ono Band, play their only concert at London's Lyceum Ballroom
15th December 1965 D Heneker and J Taylor's musical Charlie Girl, premieres in London
15th December 1964 Comedian Paul Kaye (Dennis Pennis) born in Clapham, London.
15th December 1942 Born today: Dave Clark, London England, rock drummer (Dave Clark 5-Glad All Over)
15th December 1899 Born today: Frank Vosper, London England, actor (Man Who Knew Too Much)
Main structure of the cathedral was built between 1220 & 1420.
Location: London Bridge, SE1 9DA
Description: The main structure of the cathedral was built between 1220 and 1420 - which makes this place rather special...Plus the fact that the film 'The Omen' was filmed nearby - worth a visit then.
This is the Anglican parish church of Southwark which became a cathedral early in the 20th century. St Swithin, of weather fame, founded a convent on the site which later became a monastery. Henry VIII's closure of the priory led to the main building becoming the parish church. William Shakespeare is believed to have been present when John Harvard, founder of the American university, was baptised here in 1607. This is the year that William's own brother Edmond was buried between the choir stalls. Nearby is the Shakespeare memorial.
And so over the fields to Southwarke. I spent half an hour in St Mary Overy's church, where are fine monuments of great antiquity. Samuel Pepys - 21st July 1663