Bishopsgate Mitre
One of the oririgal eight gates of the London Wall.
Location: Bishopsgate and Wormwood Street
Description: Above the side entrance to Boots here is where the Bishop's Gate, one of the original eight gates in the London Wall, used to stand. Above the door is a stone bishop's mitre, facing the Heron Tower.
The gate was originally Roman, and was rebuilt by the Hansa merchants in 1471 in exchange for Steelyard privileges, and often displayed the heads of criminals on spikes.
The final stone wall erected in 1735 by the City authorities and demolished in 1760.
|
One of the oririgal eight gates of the London Wall. |
Ranking This Month: 2762/3085
Pages Hit This Month: 100
Your Comments:
Other places nearby:
The Roman Bath», 1.5km
London's Female Gladiator», 1.3km
Lockwood Reservoirs Archaeology», 5.6km
The Old Curiosity Shop», 1.5km
Beddington Roman Villa», 12.km
Fulham Palace», 6.5km
Oldest house in the City», 0.8km
Lesnes Abbey Ruins», 9.2km
Ambresbury Banks», 13.km
Guildhall Art Gallery and Romans», 0.4km
Location Pinpointed:
Open Street Maps», Google Maps»
