Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
21st May 1973 Comedian Noel Fielding, Mighty Boosh, born in Westminster.
21st May 1966 Heavyweight Cassius Clay KOs Henry Cooper in London
21st May 1950 Born today: Roger Hodgson, London, rocker (Supertramp)
21st May 1920 Born today: Anthony Steel, London, actor (Malta Story, Wooden Horse)
21st May 1471 King Edward IV enters London and claims the throne.
St Paul's Studios
The splendid terrace of artist's studio's and houses by the A4.
Location: 135-149 Talgarth Road, Hammersmith, London, W14 9DA
Description: Most West Londoners have, at one time or another, wondered about the picturesque terrace of artists' studios on the A4 at Hammersmith as they rush towards Heathrow.
The huge cheval-glass studio windows with glazed vaults excite interest despite the unpromising site, sandwiched between the District Line and the Talgarth Road.
St Paul's Studios were designed by Frederick Wheeler in 1890 and have much in common with the hundreds of other domestic studios constructed towards the end of the 19th century. James Gunter the developer of West Brompton fame financed this splendid terrace that was 'specially designed to suit the requirements of bachelor artists, with accommodation for a housekeeper on the lower floor'.
Dame Margot Fonteyn, the
prima ballerina of the Royal Ballet from
the 1940s to 196Os, was well placed for the adjoining Royal Ballet School whilst living for many years at No. 149, during which a mezzanine floor was installed at the rear of the first floor studio.