Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
15th December 1969 Plastic Ono Band, play their only concert at London's Lyceum Ballroom
15th December 1965 D Heneker and J Taylor's musical Charlie Girl, premieres in London
15th December 1964 Comedian Paul Kaye (Dennis Pennis) born in Clapham, London.
15th December 1942 Born today: Dave Clark, London England, rock drummer (Dave Clark 5-Glad All Over)
15th December 1899 Born today: Frank Vosper, London England, actor (Man Who Knew Too Much)
A gilded-gold Memorial
Since 1861, a testament to a great royal life
Location: Albert Memorial, Kensington Gardens, Kensington, SW7
Description: Queen Victoria was born and raised at Kensington Palace, so when Prince Albert died of typhoid in 1861 she placed a memorial in the park. It stands on the south side of Kensington Gardens, opposite the Royal Albert Hall.
'The Albert Memorial' was designed by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1872 and measures 180-feet from tip to toe. The whole thing is gilded-gold and surrounded by 169 marble figures from history.
The Freize of Parnassus which runs around the base features famous poets, painters, sculptors, architects and composers. Above that are a group of virtues, angels and images representing the continents (Europe, America, Asia and Africa), and arts and industries (agriculture, commerce, engineering and manufacture).
The gold-leaf Prince was added three years after the unveiling. The original sculpture by Carlo Marochetti was turned down by Queen Victoria, and he was still working on the second when he died. The third was built by J H Foley, and completed by Thomas Brock in 1875.
Tagged in this Tour: The Doctor Whoish tour of London