Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
17th July 1968 Beatle's animated film Yellow Submarine premieres in London
17th July 1965 Born today: Alex Winter, London England, actor (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure)
17th July 1958 Peter Shaffer's Five Finger Exercise, premieres in London
17th July 1949 Born today: Mick Tucker, London, rock drummer (Sweet Harlesden)
17th July 1947 Born today: Camilla Parker-Bowles, London England, Prince Charles' wife.
17th July 1909 Born today: Hardy Amies, London England, royal dressmaker (Queen Elizabeth II)
17th July 1894 Born today: Mary Clare, London England, actress (Evil Mind, Young and Innocent)
17th July 1717 George Frideric Handel's The Water Music premiered when King George I requested a concert on a barge on the River Thames.
Barmy Balmes House
This is where the term Barmy was coined from an old asylum
Location: Downham Road, Hackney, London
Description: This is where the old lunatic asylum Balmes House used to be, and probably where the soft term for crazy 'barmy' was derived from.
1540 Balmes House, or Baume's House (north of Hoxton), was built about 1540. It was named after its founders, two brothers who were Spanish merchants. In 1631 it was Sir George Whitmore's house. In 1680 it was bought by Richard de Beauvoir. In the 1750s it was taken over by Dr Meyer Low Schomberg for use as a private madhouse.
The De Beauvoir family, however, seem to have retained ownership of the estate.
The house is now sadly long gone.