Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
17th July 1968 Beatle's animated film Yellow Submarine premieres in London
17th July 1965 Born today: Alex Winter, London England, actor (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure)
17th July 1958 Peter Shaffer's Five Finger Exercise, premieres in London
17th July 1949 Born today: Mick Tucker, London, rock drummer (Sweet Harlesden)
17th July 1947 Born today: Camilla Parker-Bowles, London England, Prince Charles' wife.
17th July 1909 Born today: Hardy Amies, London England, royal dressmaker (Queen Elizabeth II)
17th July 1894 Born today: Mary Clare, London England, actress (Evil Mind, Young and Innocent)
17th July 1717 George Frideric Handel's The Water Music premiered when King George I requested a concert on a barge on the River Thames.
This is where Wallace Simpson met the Prince of Wales.
Location: 211 King's Road, Chelsea, London
Description: This classic property was the centre of London society in the early 20th century, when it was owned by society hostess Lady Sybil Colefax. Her parties here were renowned and these doors saw Fred Astaire, George Gershwin, Hilair Belloc, Virginia Woolf and Winston Churchill.
It is alleged that Ernest and Wallace Simpson were introduced to the Prince of Wales here in 1935, who later gave up the throne for her.
Designed in 1723 by an Italian architect the house has been lived in since 1754 - the first owner was Mrs Mary Villiers, who was followed by the fourth Duke of Argyll and although he left in 1770 it has since been known as Argyll House.
Photographer Cecil Beaton wrote after a visit From the moment one arrived in the small panelled hall and savoured the aroma of dried rosemary burnt on a saucer, one knew one had arrived in a completely different atmosphere, refreshing as a sea change.
Tagged in this Tour: architecture sights you must see