Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
20th July 1982 Bombs planted by Irish Republican Army explode in 2 London parks
20th July 1982 T Macauly and D Vosburghs musical Windy City, premieres in London
20th July 1960 Born today: Katie Rabbet, London England, Prince Andrew's former girlfriend
20th July 1956 Born today: Paul Cook, London, rock drummer (Sex Pistols)
20th July 1944 Pierre Vinot, French ambassador to London/writer, dies
20th July 1935 Born today: Ted Rogers, Kennington London, comedian (Aladdin, Cinderella)
20th July 1930 Born today: Sally Ann Howes, London England, actress (Dead of Night)
The Holy Trinity and Clowns
The church that houses a clown egg museum.
Location: Beechwood Road, Dalston, E8 4EZ
Description: Holy Trinity was built in 1879 on Beechwood Road (then called Woodland Street) by architect Ewan Christian - a noted restorer rather than designer.
The parish was joined with St Philip, Dalston sometime before 1952, after St Philip's was destroyed during the Second World War.
There is a bizarre museum of tributes to famous clowns in the form of eggs, and an annual memorial service takes place here for Clowns International (in full costume) on the first Sunday in February. It's called the Grimaldi Service in honour of the great father of clowning and London boy Joseph Grimaldi.
The chairman of Clowns International Stan Bult began the tradition in 1946 and long after his death it was resurrected.