Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
20th July 1982 Bombs planted by Irish Republican Army explode in 2 London parks
20th July 1982 T Macauly and D Vosburghs musical Windy City, premieres in London
20th July 1960 Born today: Katie Rabbet, London England, Prince Andrew's former girlfriend
20th July 1956 Born today: Paul Cook, London, rock drummer (Sex Pistols)
20th July 1944 Pierre Vinot, French ambassador to London/writer, dies
20th July 1935 Born today: Ted Rogers, Kennington London, comedian (Aladdin, Cinderella)
20th July 1930 Born today: Sally Ann Howes, London England, actress (Dead of Night)
Loughton's Iron Age Camp
One of London's finest Iron Age forts, deep within Epping Forest
Location: Loughton Camp, Loughton, Epping Forest
Description: Loughton Camp is an Iron Age (500BC) hill fort in Epping Forest, a mile North West of Loughton. The earthworks cover an area of 10 acres and are visible today as a low bank and ditch encircling a now forested main camp. The banks were most probably once a single high rampart, used for defence and the appearance of the ditch suggests it was once very wide and deep in places.
Speculation surrounds the legend that Boudica once used it, and more likely it was a base for one of the ancient British tribes such as the Trinovantes who dominated the area north of the Thames.
A further set of ancient earthworks are a mile further north at a site called Ambresbury Banks.
The camp was discovered by local priest Benjamin Harris Cowper in 1872 and the first archaeology carried out was by General Pitt-Rivers in 1881. In 1882 the Essex Field Club further excavated the banks.
Tagged in this Tour: m