Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
17th February 1938 1st public experimental demonstration of Baird color TV (London)
17th February 1896 London Country Councils' Muzzling Order becomes effective
17th February 1883 A Ashwell patents free-toilet in London
17th February 1740 The end of the great frost, freezing of the Thames and a terrible Winter
Winston's First Married Home
The 1st house purchased by Winston Churchill after his marriage
Location: 33 Eccleston Square, Victoria, SW1V
Description: Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill (1874-1965) described himself as 'an English-Speaking Union,' being the son of Lord Randolph Churchill and the American heiress Jennie Jerome.
He was educated at Harrow and the Royal Military College at Sandhurst, and was sent to India with a cavalry commission in 1895.
He won early fame as a war correspondent, covering the Cuban revolt against Spain (1895), and British campaigns in the Northwest Frontier of India (1897), the Sudan (1898) and South Africa during the Boer War (1899).
Churchill had authored five books by the age of 26. His daring escape from a Boer prison camp in 1899 made him a national hero and ushered him into the House of Commons, where his career spanned 60 years.
And so to this address, this was first house purchased by Churchill after his marriage, and owned from Spring 1909 to May 1918. It was not lived in between May 1915 and late 1916, since it was leased to Lord Grey from 1913.