Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
20th July 1982 Bombs planted by Irish Republican Army explode in 2 London parks
20th July 1982 T Macauly and D Vosburghs musical Windy City, premieres in London
20th July 1960 Born today: Katie Rabbet, London England, Prince Andrew's former girlfriend
20th July 1956 Born today: Paul Cook, London, rock drummer (Sex Pistols)
20th July 1944 Pierre Vinot, French ambassador to London/writer, dies
20th July 1935 Born today: Ted Rogers, Kennington London, comedian (Aladdin, Cinderella)
20th July 1930 Born today: Sally Ann Howes, London England, actress (Dead of Night)
Earthwork remains of an iron age hill fort.
Location: Epping Forest
Description: Ambresbury Banks are the remains of an Iron Age hill fort in Epping Forest, just south of the M25 North of Loughton.
According to spurious legend, it is the site of the last stand by Boudica against the Romans in the year 61.
They form, along with Loughton Camp, Wallbury Camp, Little Hadham, Barkway and Littlebury, a distinct line of hill-forts that arguably split the territories of the warring English tribes Trinovantes and Catuvellauni.
Archaeology at the site started in 1881 although now the whole area has been reclaimed by Epping Forest. Finds have included shards of red, grey and black pottery, flints and flint arrow heads, and lumps of baked clay. It is thought that they date the site to 700 BC and occupation until 42 AD.