Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
22nd September 1924 Illustrator and author Charles Keeping was born in Lambeth.
22nd September 1891 Footballer and writer Charlie Buchan was born in Plumstead.
22nd September 1870 5-time British Wimbledon tennis champion Charlotte Cooper was born in Ealing.
22nd September 1788 Author, practical joker and inventor of the postcard, Theodore Hook, was born in London.
22nd September 1761 The Coronation of George III in Westminster Abbey.
22nd September 1735 Robert Walpole the first British Prime Minister to live at 10 Downing Street.
22nd September 1694 Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, creator of Gregorian calendar, was born in London.
Sir Morrell Mackenzie born here
Father of Laryngology, Sir Morrell Mackenzie was born here.
Location: 742 High Road, Leystonstone, E11 3AW
Description: Sir Morrell Mackenzie (1837-1892) was an English laryngologist from a Scottish family and the royal physician to the English and German royal families, and was born here July 7th 1837.
He is best known for his controversial treatment of Frederick III of Germany, in which a silver tube was inserted down the king's throat which rendered him mute, unable to communicate except by writing.
He was the founder of the first hospital devoted to diseases of the throat, and is widely considered the father of laryngology in Britain.
The house was erected by LUDRA in 1909.