Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
21st September 1977 Rapper Doc Brown was born in Kilburn.
21st September 1906 Born today: Derrick De Marney, London England, actor (Inheritance)
21st September 1849 Born today: Edmund Gosse, London, translator/critic (Father and Son)
George Monoux's Moones
Lord Mayor and Walthamstow legend George Monoux's house was here
Location: 41-43 Billet Road, Walthamstow, London
Description: George Monoux, Lord Mayor and MP, probably began his residence in Walthamstow in the early years of the sixteenth century, and he resided at his seat, known as Moones in Moones Lane, now Billet Lane, near Chapel End, till his death on 9th February, 1543-4.
Moones is described as a spacious building, moated around, with several enclosures of land and many large meadows. This estate was sold in 1589 to Thomas Hale, from whose family it passed in 1596 to Ralph Harrison. Eventually, in 1635, it came into the possession of the Rowe family of Higham Hill. The last reference I can find to the house is in 1817, when it was sold with other property belonging to Salisbury Hall. The house no longer stands, but Moones is still marked on the Ordnance Map. Such was the home where Monoux passed the years when he was playing his part as Citizen, Alderman, Lord Mayor, and Member of Parliament for London.
Monoux brought a constant supply of fine spring water from a spring in Brandands, the upper part of Mill Field, through all the fields, then his possessions, conducted through earthenware pipes and in the form of long hollow bricks. Here then we find him as the purveyor of pure spring water, which was not only for his own benefit but for that of his dependents and neighbours at Chapel End.