Maple House


Maple House

Once the Largest Furniture Shop in the World was based here.

Location: 149 Tottenham Court Road

Description: Now a retail and apartment complex on the east side of Tottenham Court Road, close to the junction with Euston Road, is where Maples Furniture Store used to be. Today it's a supermarket and computer store.

Sir John Blundell Maple (1845-1903) was a self-made, and perhaps the most successful of all Victorian retail entrepreneurs. He achieved great wealth, became a politician, a horserace breeder and a member of the Prince of Wales's set. His emporium here in London's Tottenham Court Road furnished everyone who was anyone in Victorian society and was better known as The Largest Furniture Shop in the World.

Maples manufactured their own luxury furniture in a complex eventually so vast that by the 1880s it occupied an area where once stood 200 houses. They were timber importers, and exporters of furniture and fittings to all parts of the world. They used steam power and electricity, had a fleet of horse-drawn vans, depository and showrooms, and employed a vast workforce.

Maples furnished palaces all over the world, including Tsar Nicholas's Winter Palace, the Hofburg Imperial Palace in Vienna, all the great hotels, and town and country homes.

Prestigious British embassies were all furnished by Maples.

In 1997 the store was declared bankrupt and was taken over by the retailer Allders.

Madness lead singer Suggs grew up in a nice flat above Maple's on the corner with Grafton Way.

Themes: RetailRetail Theme
Maple House

Once the Largest Furniture Shop in the World was based here.

Ranking This Month: 959/2857

Pages Hit This Month: 33


Other places nearby:


A Market steeped in History», 1.2km

London's Most Female Street», 2.3km

Westfield Stratford City East», 5.6km

Fox and Lewis», 1.2km

Seven Sisters Market», 4.9km

Jigsaw and Kate Middleton», 0.6km

Treadwell's Bookshop», 0.2km

The First Shop in the World», 6.2km

Retail on the River», 1.6km

Richard Branson Lived here», 3.2km

Location Pinpointed: