Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
20th July 1982 Bombs planted by Irish Republican Army explode in 2 London parks
20th July 1982 T Macauly and D Vosburghs musical Windy City, premieres in London
20th July 1960 Born today: Katie Rabbet, London England, Prince Andrew's former girlfriend
20th July 1956 Born today: Paul Cook, London, rock drummer (Sex Pistols)
20th July 1944 Pierre Vinot, French ambassador to London/writer, dies
20th July 1935 Born today: Ted Rogers, Kennington London, comedian (Aladdin, Cinderella)
20th July 1930 Born today: Sally Ann Howes, London England, actress (Dead of Night)
Splendid Heath Hall
The magnificent home built for Sugar heir Lyle.
Location: 59 The Bishops Avenue, Barnet
Description: Heath Hall was built in 1910 as East Weald, the London residence of William Park Lyle, son of sugar magnate Abram Lyle. It was designed by Henry Victor Ashley and Winton Newman, and their designs for it were grandly exhibited at the Royal Academy exhibitions of 1910 and 1911.
The 27,000 sq ft house is made from red brick with a green slate roof, and built in an 'H' shape.
After falling into disrepair it was refurbished for 40m to include 14 en-suite bedrooms, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, a home cinema, an internal leisure complex with a gym, steam room and sauna, a 600 bottle wine cellar and a panic room.
East Weald was a home for blind people before its purchase in the 1950s by the Bank of China to house its London employees.
English Heritage designated it a Grade II listed building in November 2001.