Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
23rd April 1959 1st heliport in Britain opens in London
23rd April 1925 1st London performance of operetta Fasquita staged
23rd April 1881 Gilbert and Sullivan's opera Patience produced in London
23rd April 1775 Artist J.M.W. Turner was born in Covent Garden, London.
23rd April 1705 Richard Steele's Tender Husband, premieres in London
23rd April 1702 The Coronation of Anne I in Westminster Abbey.
23rd April 1685 The Coronation of James II (and VII of Scotland) in Westminster Abbey.
23rd April 1661 English king Charles II crowned in London
23rd April 1661 The Coronation of Charles II in Westminster Abbey.
Thomas Hodgkin lived here
This is where Hodgkin's Lymphoma pioneer lived and worked.
Location: 35 Bedford Square, Bloomsbury
Description: One of the most prominent pathologists of his time, was Thomas Hodgkin (17981866).
He was born in London to a Quaker family and became one of the most important pioneers in preventive medicine, best known for the first account of Hodgkin's disease, a form of lymphoma and blood disease.
Hodgkin described the disease that bears his name in 1832, in a paper titled On Some Morbid Appearances of the Absorbent Glands and Spleen. However, it was 33 years later before the name Hodgkin's Lymphoma was coined by British physician Samuel Wilks, who rediscovered the disease.
Hodgkin lived here from 1849 to 1866, taking over the house formerly owned by Thomas Wakley, the founding editor of The Lancet. This makes the house one of the few to have 2 blue plaques.