Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
19th January 1966 Tippetts cantate Vision of St Augustine, premieres in London
19th January 1940 Comedian and Eastenders actor Mike Reid was born in Hackney, East London.
19th January 1917 The Silvertown explosion kills 73 people in the East End.
19th January 1907 Born today: Lillian Harvey, London England, actress (Invitation to the Waltz)
Wood Street Film Studio
This used to be a prolific London film studio from 1924 to 1933.
Location: 245 Wood Street, Walthamstow, London
Description: An unusual industry at Walthamstow was the production of motion pictures. The Precision Film Co. built a studio at Whipps Cross in 1910, which ceased production in 1915. The British & Colonial Kinematograph Co. took over a roller skating rink in Hoe Street as studios in 1913. The company employed such actors as Jack Buchanan and Lilian Braithwaite, and produced When London Sleeps (1914) and The Battle of the Somme (1916). It was dissolved in 1924.
The Cunard Film Co. Ltd. then built a studio in Wood Street in 1913-14. Among its 'stars' were Gladys Cooper and Owen Nares.
The company, which ceased in 1915, included The Call of the Drum (1914) among its productions.
The Broadwest Film Co. took over the Wood Street studio in 1916 and specialized in filming novels and stage plays. Among its actors were Matheson Lang and Ronald Colman. The company went bankrupt in 1924 and its studio was taken over by British Filmcraft Ltd. in 1926. Its productions included a series on Dick Turpin filmed on location in Epping Forest. The industry was, however, struggling unsuccessfully against competition from Hollywood. The Wood Street studio was still in use in 1931 by Metropolitan Films Ltd., and in 1932 by Audible Filmcraft Ltd., but after 1933 it was occupied as a factory.
It was burned down in 1959.