Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
24th April 1963 Princess Alexandra of Kent was married to Angus Ogilvy in Westminster Abbey.
24th April 1960 Born today: Paula Yates, London England, Mrs Bob Geldof/rocker/writer (Blondes)
24th April 1936 Born today: Jill Ireland, London, actress (Breakout, Assassination, Chino)
24th April 1867 St. George's Hall Theatre in Langham Place was opened (demolished 1966).
24th April 1731 Author Daniel Defoe died in London trying to evade debtors.
The House they left behind
Every house was demolished in the blitz here except this one.
Location: 27 Ropemakers Fields, Narrow Street, Limehouse, E14 8BX
Description: This gastro eaterie is called 'The House', a catchier name than it's former full title. The whole terrace was demolished during the blitz except for this hardy set of bricks.
Previous to that it was called The Black Horse and was built in 1857.
Features many original artworks and oil paintings inside.
Rope fibres were once laid out to be twisted together in Ropemakers Fields. Hops grew outside the pub for use in the Limehouse Brewery in Fore Street.
Tagged in this Tour: Curios
Tagged in this Tour: Quirky London