Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
30th April 1980 Terrorists seize Iranian Embassy in London
30th April 1943 Noel Coward's This Happy Breed, premieres in London
30th April 1763 London Journalist John Wilkes confined in the Tower
30th April 1695 William Congreve's Love for Love, premieres in London
30th April 1290 Joan of Acre, daughter of King Edward I was married to the 7th Earl of Gloucester in Westminster Abbey.
The first House of Correction and prison tourist site.
Location: Fleet Street
Description: Bridewell Prison was built during Henry VIII's reign as a Palace at first. Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, was entertained at Bridewell Palace in 1522. From 1531 to 1539, it was leased by the French Ambassador.
In 1550, the palace was given over to the relief of the poor. Bridewell became not just a refuge, but the first House of Correction.
Both John Reeves and Muggleton (Muggletonians) were imprisoned in Bridewell Prison during 1653 for their beliefs.
The visionary Anna Trapnel, a Fifth Monarchist, was arrested, put on trial, and sent to Bridewell.
On the 17th January 1657, Nayler was taken to Bridewell Prison and locked into a damp, dark cell. He would remain there for two and a half years and, although the order was that he be kept without pen and paper, he managed to produce some of his finest work there.
It serves as the setting for the fourth panel of William Hogarths The Harlots Progress.
The prison was rebuilt in nearby Francis Street in 1834, with places for 800 prisoners. In 1850, the prison was restricted to women and boys under 17.
By 1861, the prison had been renamed the Westminster House of Correction.
In 1867 there was a disastrous attempt to free Irish nationalist remand prisoners by blowing up one of the perimeter walls, there's a plaque commemorating the loss of life in St James Church.
Thereafter the name again changed and by 1869 was the Middlesex House of Correction.
There are still some cells in tact in the basement here in what is now Hugh Myddleton School.
Tagged in this Tour: London 2012