Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
15th October 1959 Born today: Sarah Magaret Fergusson, [Fergie], London England, Duchess of York
15th October 1940 London's Waterloo Station bombed by Germans
15th October 1940 Heavy German air raid on London, 400 killed
Painter Harold Knight lived here
Artist Harold Knight lived and painted here.
Location: 16 Langford Place, St Johns Wood, London, NW8
Description: The artist Harold Knight (1874-1961)lived here in his latter years with his wife Dame Laura Knight.
Harold was born in Nottingham and studied at the Nottingham School of Art where he met his wife to be Laura Johnson (1877- 1970). He continued his studies at the Royal College of Art and then in Paris under Jean Paul Laurens and Benjamin Constant, a conventional academic training.
However, following his return to England he and Laura painted in the Yorkshire fishing village of Staithes, where a colony of artists worked from the 1880's. On their return to London the Knights moved to St. Johns Wood.
Harold Knight was elected A.R.A. in 1928 and R.A. in 1937, portraits dominating his exhibited works from 1930 until his death in 1961.
His works can be found in museums in Penzance, Penlee Art Museum; Nottingham, Castle Museum; Newcastle, Laing Art Gallery; slackpool and Merthyr Tydfil.
Harold Knight died at the Colwall Park Hotel in Colwall, Herefordshire in 1961.