Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
22nd May 1963 A C Milan wins 8th Europe Cup 1 at London
22nd May 1950 Richard Strauss' 4 Last Songs (4 letzte Lieder) in London
Cricketer WG Grace lived here
The home of beardie cricketing legend WG Grace.
Location: Fairmount, Mottingham Lane, Mottingham, SE9 4RT
Description: W.G. Grace (1848-1915) lived here in Mottingham from 1902-1915. He was a cricketer for Gloucestershire, London County and England, he was a dominant player and personality of his era, with an extraordinary record of achievements.
Born at Bristol, he qualified as a doctor and was a member of a remarkably gifted cricketing family (his brothers Edward and George Frederick were also Test players). He began his first-class career in 1865, played for 43 years and made his last Test appearance aged 50. A large, bearded man, Grace was the finest all-rounder in an age of many notable cricketers.
He played in the first Test match ever held in England against Australia at the Oval in 1880 and made 152, the first Test century by an English batsman.
Grace played in 22 Tests, captained England in 13 of them, scored 1,098 runs, hit 2 centuries, took 9 wickets and made 39 catches.
W.G. Grace was also a fine lawn bowls player and in 1903 became the first president of the English Bowling Association.
He is buried in Elmers End cemetery. The W G Grace Inn was named after him at Elmers End Road, Anerley.