Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
23rd March 1933 Born today: Geoffrey Leigh, CEO (Allied London Properties)
23rd March 1905 Born today: Ralph Perring, Lord Mayor (London)
23rd March 1889 The free Woolwich ferry service was launched by Sir Joseph Bazalgette.
23rd March 1861 London's 1st tramcars, designed by Mr Train of NY, begins operating
23rd March 1743 George Frideric Handel's oratorio Messiah premieres in London
23rd March 1729 Celebrated satirical painter William Hogarth married Jane Thornhill, daughter of artist Sir James Thornhill.
Henry VIIIs Kennels
Home to the King of England's kennels.
Location: Isle of Dogs, E14
Description: The name Isle of Dogs is first recorded in 1588, in fact, the whole area was once simply known as Stepney Marsh.
The Isle of Dogs is a peninsula in the East End of London. It is surrounded on three sides (East, South and West) by the River Thames, which follows a horseshoe-shaped arc to the south of the peninsula. It is part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and part of the London Docklands.
But some say the Isle of Dogs got it's name from the 'main man' Henry VIII (28 June 1491 - 28 January 1547), King of England and Lord of Ireland.
Henry was then the second monarch of the House of Tudor and it seems liked dogs...some believe that the area was so called because this is where Henry kept his kennels.