Home

Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map

Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -

Contact Us

IN THE NEWS

Westfield Stratford City East
Westfield Stratford City East Retail Theme

TOUR OF THE MONTH

The Rolling Stones London Tour
The Rolling Stones London Tour

ON THIS DAY IN LONDON

23rd March 1934 Born today: Bryan Bass, headmaster (City of London School)

23rd March 1933 Born today: Geoffrey Leigh, CEO (Allied London Properties)

23rd March 1905 Born today: Ralph Perring, Lord Mayor (London)

23rd March 1889 The free Woolwich ferry service was launched by Sir Joseph Bazalgette.

23rd March 1861 London's 1st tramcars, designed by Mr Train of NY, begins operating

23rd March 1743 George Frideric Handel's oratorio Messiah premieres in London

23rd March 1729 Celebrated satirical painter William Hogarth married Jane Thornhill, daughter of artist Sir James Thornhill.

Little Compton Street



Little Compton Street

This is where the long gone Little Compton Street can be seen.

Location: Charing Cross Road, London

Description: In the middle of Charing Cross Road at its junction with Old Compton Street there's a raised central traffic island with a wide metal grill.

Through the grill beneath your feet you can see the old road signs for the now vanished Little Compton Street, which once joined Old Compton Street with New Compton Street.

On Horwood's map of 1799 the part between Greek Street and Crown Street is called Little Compton Street and is so named in the parish ratebooks from the 1820's.

It's clear the street here was much lower than all the area here today, a pub called the Coach and Horses was stationed at the address of 17 Little Compton Street. The basements of the buildings in the immediate vicinity could well have been ground level generations previous.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_query() in /homepages/30/d412357162/htdocs/shadyoldlady/location.php:131 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /homepages/30/d412357162/htdocs/shadyoldlady/location.php on line 131