St Katherine's Dock Marina


St Katherine's Dock Marina

Thomas Telford constructed this dock back in 1828

Location: Off Smithfield

Description: Thomas Telford constructed the dock in 1828.

The name 'St. Katherine's' comes from the twelfth century religious foundation, which has always been under the patronage of the current Queen. It provided refuge for a community of poor people.

The foundation still exists and has been relocated to Limehouse.

The aim of this dock was to take business from the earlier docks that were constructed to the east, further from the City of London. Unfortunately the railways were invented soon afterwards, and so it was more convenient to unload cargoes with rail access further downstream, than for the ships to come all the way up to the Tower Bridge area.

The enterprise was not successful and was soon taken over by the London Dock Company. St. Katherine's was the first to close after the collapse of the docks in the 1970s, and the first to be converted to modern use - in this case a marina.

Tours: The Doctor Whoish tour of London

Tours: Pirates and penthouses at the old London Docks

Themes: SubterraneanSubterranean Theme  TransportTransport Theme  HistoricalHistorical Theme
St Katherine's Dock Marina

Thomas Telford constructed this dock back in 1828

Ranking This Month: 2493/2914

Pages Hit This Month: 7


Other places nearby:


A bit of Belfast in London», 0.4km

Clapham North's Bomb Bunker», 3.8km

Hackney's Mole Man», 2.4km

London's Longest Pier», 10.km

Wapping Pier Head», 0.4km

Islington Tunnel», 2.2km

Chislehurst Caves», 8.9km

Farting Lane's Sewer Lamp», 2.1km

Hornsey Wood Reservoir», 4.3km

The Boat Race», 8.8km

Location Pinpointed: