Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
20th July 1982 Bombs planted by Irish Republican Army explode in 2 London parks
20th July 1982 T Macauly and D Vosburghs musical Windy City, premieres in London
20th July 1960 Born today: Katie Rabbet, London England, Prince Andrew's former girlfriend
20th July 1956 Born today: Paul Cook, London, rock drummer (Sex Pistols)
20th July 1944 Pierre Vinot, French ambassador to London/writer, dies
20th July 1935 Born today: Ted Rogers, Kennington London, comedian (Aladdin, Cinderella)
20th July 1930 Born today: Sally Ann Howes, London England, actress (Dead of Night)
The oldest building in Islington where Goldsmith once wrote.
Location: Canonbury Place, Islington, N1 2NQ
Description: The most historic building in Islington is the Canonbury Tower, a remarkably preserved Tudor building. It was built as country residence for the Prior of St. Bartholomew in the time of King Henry VII, and later transformed into a mansion by Sir John Spenser in the time of Queen Elizabeth I.
Sir John was a good friend of Sir Francis Bacon, as was his son in law, Lord Compton, 1st Earl of Northampton, who inherited the mansion.
The tower has been occupied by many historical figures, including Francis Bacon and Oliver Goldsmith (who wrote The Vicar of Wakefield and The Traveller here).
The Tower Theatre Company was based here from 1953 to 2003. It is currently used as a Masonic research centre.
It is said that underground passages connect to the Priory of St Bartholomew in West Smithfield.
Tagged in this Tour: Elizabethan & Stuart London