Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
16th October 1987 175-kph winds cause blackout in London, much of southern England
16th October 1959 Born today: Gary Kemp, London, rock guitarist (Spandau Ballet-True)
16th October 1958 The first episode of children's TV show Blue Peter is aired on Television.
16th October 1951 Born today: Daniel Gerroll, London, actor (Big Business)
16th October 1936 Actor Peter Bowles was born in London.
16th October 1927 Born today: Lee Montague, London England, actor (Uncle Sasha-Holocaust)
16th October 1925 Murder She Wrote actress Angela Lansbury was born in London.
16th October 1922 Happy birthday to entertainer Max Bygraves, born in Rotherhithe, East London.
16th October 1834 London parliament catches fire historic documents burn
The splendid drinking room of the Hamilton Hall.
Location: Liverpool Street Station, EC2M 7PY
Description: This Wetherspoon pub opening onto the concourse of Liverpool Street Station is named after Lord Claud Hamilton, chairman of the Great Eastern Railway Company (1893-1923) which originally built Liverpool Street station.
The pub is the former ballroom and now-restored hall of the old Great Eastern Hotel. In the 1960's is was part of the Abercorn group of hotels.
The room is spectacular and a pleasure to drink in, full of mirrors and marble, allegorical figures and paintings. It was in fact copied directly from the Palais Soubise in Paris in 1901.