Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
21st April 1952 BOAC begins 1st passenger service with jets (London-Rome route)
21st April 1945 Ivor Nivello's Perchance to Dream, premieres in London
21st April 1930 Born today: Margaret Rose, London England, Princess of York
21st April 1925 Noel Coward's Fallen Angels, premieres in London
21st April 1920 John Galsworthy's Skin Game, premieres in London
21st April 1894 George Bernard Shaw's Arms and the Man, premieres in London
History of St Sepulchre Church
Church of St Sepulchre, gruesome medieval links with Old Bailey.
Location: Church of St Sepulchre, London, EC1A 9DE
Description: The 150 feet high tower contains a ring of twelve bells, restored in 1985, famous in the nursery rhyme as The Bells of Old Bailey.
One celebrated yet tragic Rector, John Rogers, was burnt at the stake in Smithfield in 1555, the first Protestant martyr of Queen Mary's reign. He was killed for assisting William Tyndale to translate the Bible into English.
In the north wall of the sanctuary are what may be the remains of an Easter Sepulchre. The most notable person known to have been buried in this chapel was Roger Ascham, the beloved tutor of Queen Elizabeth I who died in 1568.
In a glass case on a pillar at the south east of the nave is the Execution Bell, a grim reminder of the connection between this church and old Newgate Prison which stood, until 1902, on the site now occupied by the Central Criminal Court - The Old Bailey. In 1605 Robert Dowe gave fifty pounds for the ringing of the great bell on the mornings of executions, and for other services concerning condemned prisoners including the ringing of this hand-bell at midnight outside the condemned cell.
On the south wall is a relic of the 1450 church, a Piscina for rinsing communion vessels. This appears to be darkened by fire and is thought to still bear the traces of the Great Fire of London in 1666.
Tagged in this Tour: Rebels, Radicals & Rough Justice