Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
21st May 1973 Comedian Noel Fielding, Mighty Boosh, born in Westminster.
21st May 1966 Heavyweight Cassius Clay KOs Henry Cooper in London
21st May 1950 Born today: Roger Hodgson, London, rocker (Supertramp)
21st May 1920 Born today: Anthony Steel, London, actor (Malta Story, Wooden Horse)
21st May 1471 King Edward IV enters London and claims the throne.
Mr Morse and his special Code
The man who helped create the Morse code lived here
Location: 141 Cleveland Street, Fitzrovia, W1T 6QC
Description: Not only was 'Samuel Finley Breese Morse' an accomplished painter, but as his name might suggest, he did something else pretty spectacular!
He was a co-inventor of the Morse code - an American contributor to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs.
Samuel F.B. Morse was born in Charlestown, Massachusetts on 27 April 1791, he went on to Yale College to receive instruction in the subjects of religious philosophy, mathematics and science of horses.
But it was not until a sea voyage home in 1832, Morse encountered Charles Thomas Jackson of Boston, a man who was well schooled in electromagnetism. Witnessing various experiments with Jackson's electromagnet, Morse developed the concept of a single-wire telegraph.
And so 'Morse code' was born.
Samuel Morse lived at this address from 1812 to 1815 - a blue plaque adorns the property.