Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
23rd April 1959 1st heliport in Britain opens in London
23rd April 1925 1st London performance of operetta Fasquita staged
23rd April 1881 Gilbert and Sullivan's opera Patience produced in London
23rd April 1775 Artist J.M.W. Turner was born in Covent Garden, London.
23rd April 1705 Richard Steele's Tender Husband, premieres in London
23rd April 1702 The Coronation of Anne I in Westminster Abbey.
23rd April 1685 The Coronation of James II (and VII of Scotland) in Westminster Abbey.
23rd April 1661 English king Charles II crowned in London
23rd April 1661 The Coronation of Charles II in Westminster Abbey.
The Holborn Restaurant
One of the famous lost restaurants of Old London.
Location: 129 Kingsway, Holborn
Description: Alas today it's a humdrum Sainsbury's and glass fronted office block, but 100 years ago this was one splendid restaurant. Holborn was once a place to go.
Founded in 1874, it was billed as adding a 'spice of poetry to the dull prose of every day life'.
The British Chess Federation was founded here in 1904.
In 1908 the Olympic Games were held in London, and a series of banquets were held here for the participating athletes.
It was a huge building containing a vast dining room 'The Venetian Hall' and a number of smaller private dining rooms and the restaurant was also very popular with the local freemasons.
It was demolished in 1955.