Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
22nd July 2006 Arsenal's new stadium The Emirates officially opened.
22nd July 2005 Jean Charles de Menezes is shot dead by plain clothes police at Stockwell tube station.
22nd July 1971 Born today: Charlotte Gainsbourg, London England, actress (Little Thief)
22nd July 1944 Born today: Rick Davies, London England, rock vocalist/keyboardist (Supertramp)
22nd July 1928 Fulham football legend Jimmy Hill was born in Balham, South London.
22nd July 1919 De Falla and Massine's Three-cornered Hat, premieres in London
22nd July 1844 Born today: William Archibald Spooner, London, reverend/inventor (spoonerisms)
22nd July 1814 The Earliest known match played at Lord's Cricket Ground.
UK's 1st Ten Pin Bowling Alley
The site of the first bowling alley in the UK.
Location: 158 Clapton Common, Stamford Hill, E5 9AG
Description: Boxing legend Sir Henry Cooper, the former heavyweight boxing champion, opened the country's only bowling alley, 'Tenpin Lanes', open for business on 20th January 1960.
He was joined here on that occasion by Mount Everest explorer Sir Edmund Hillary and other celebrities and film stars of the day. The splendid building was in an old ABC cinema and had 14 lanes.
The two principal American manufacturers of tenpin bowling machinery - AMF and Brunswick had saturated their home market in the USA at the end of the 1950s.
They looked to expand here, and this was the first of up to 200 tenpin bowling alleys in the UK.
The now demolished building was originally designed by architect George Coles and opened as the independent Stamford Hill Cinema on 26th December 1925 with Edmund Lowe starring in The Fool.
Only 3 years later did United Picture Theatres take over the cinema and in 1947 was renamed The Super Cinema and later became an ABC cinema.
Checkout the supermarket on the unmarked site today. Or not.