Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
23rd April 1959 1st heliport in Britain opens in London
23rd April 1925 1st London performance of operetta Fasquita staged
23rd April 1881 Gilbert and Sullivan's opera Patience produced in London
23rd April 1775 Artist J.M.W. Turner was born in Covent Garden, London.
23rd April 1705 Richard Steele's Tender Husband, premieres in London
23rd April 1702 The Coronation of Anne I in Westminster Abbey.
23rd April 1685 The Coronation of James II (and VII of Scotland) in Westminster Abbey.
23rd April 1661 English king Charles II crowned in London
23rd April 1661 The Coronation of Charles II in Westminster Abbey.
The great hall in Chislehurst that was once home to Napoleon.
Location: Camden Park Road, Chislehurst
Description: Camden Place can be dated back to around 1609 and the famous Elizabethan scholar, historian and antiquary, William Camden, who in trying to escape the plague in London came to the seclusion here, in leafy Chislehurst.
In 1717 Robert Weston began rebuilding and in 1780 extensions were added by Charles Pratt (the future Lord Camden and Lord Chancellor). He employed architect George Dance RA to remodel the building as it largely is today including the splendid Mixed lounge, Oval Room, Office and the beautiful oak panelled Entrance hall and the two hidden doors.
Nathaniel Strode bought the house in 1860 and in 1870 made some alterations which comprise a large part of the present house. The exiled Emperor Napoleon III and Empress Eugenie lived in the house from 1870.