Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
20th July 1982 Bombs planted by Irish Republican Army explode in 2 London parks
20th July 1982 T Macauly and D Vosburghs musical Windy City, premieres in London
20th July 1960 Born today: Katie Rabbet, London England, Prince Andrew's former girlfriend
20th July 1956 Born today: Paul Cook, London, rock drummer (Sex Pistols)
20th July 1944 Pierre Vinot, French ambassador to London/writer, dies
20th July 1935 Born today: Ted Rogers, Kennington London, comedian (Aladdin, Cinderella)
20th July 1930 Born today: Sally Ann Howes, London England, actress (Dead of Night)
St George the Martyr and Dickens
The church mentioned in Dickens' Little Dorritt.
Location: Borough High Street, Southwark, London, SE1 1JA
Description: This church is also known as Little Dorrits Church, and was the scene for the baptism and marriage of a Dickens heroine (in his novel Little Dorrit). In fact his father was imprisoned for
debt in the Marshalsea prison next door the surviving wall of which adjoins the north side of the churchyard.
Dickens lived in nearby Lant Street
as a teenager, before he began his literary career. There is a small representation of Little Dorritt in the east window of the church.
The second version of this church appears on some early maps and drawings of Southwark and can be seen in Hogarths picture of Southwark Fair in 1733. It was demolished 2-3 years alter and rebuilt in it's current guise.