Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
19th February 1915 Comedian Dick Emery was born in Bloomsbury, London.
19th February 1897 Charles Blondin, French tightrope walker and acrobat died from diabetes in Ealing.
19th February 1838 Jane Alsop's terrifying encounter with Spring Heeled Jack.
19th February 1401 William Sawtree, 1st English religious martyr, burned in London
An early Tudor manor house, used by Henry VIII.
Location: 43 Gillender Street, London, E14 6RN
Description: Bromley Hall is an early Tudor period manor house in Bow, Tower Hamlets, London. Located on the Blackwall Tunnel northern approach road, it is now owned and restored by Leaside Regeneration.
The Hall is thought to be the oldest brick house in London and was built by Holy Trinity Priory in the 1490s on the foundations of the 12th century Lower Bramerley Manor. These remain visible today in the cellar.
Bromley Hall, recently named winner of this yearís RICS* Building Conservation Award, was originally built by Holy Trinity Priory in the 1490ís and after it was seized by the crown in 1531, it became a haunt of Henry VIII who extravagantly refurbished it with rich tapestries and paintings. Traces of the early decoration remain to this day. Examples include a carved hunting scene, 1490ís beams with the leather washers that hung the tapestries, Tudor windows and most spectacularly three wall paintings dating from the 15th and 16th centuries.