Fishmonger's Hall


Fishmonger's Hall

One of the oldest businesses still in the same line 700 years on

Location: London Bridge, London, EC4R 9EL

Description: The Fishmonger's association have had premises here with a Grand Hall for at least 700 years.

Twice, during the period 1632-33, Inigo Jones, the royal architect, came to dinner with his friend, the Earl of Arundel, arriving by boat at the water-steps.

In 1664 both Samuel Pepys and John Evelyn attended official meetings, entering the Company's gate from Thames Street and walking down a long passage to the courtyard between houses occupied by the Company's tenants.

Early in the morning of 2nd September 1666 the great Company Hall hall was destroyed in the Great Fire, but the records telling us about the old place were rescued from the treasury and hurled into a barge by the light of the roaring flames.

There is inside The London Bridge Chair made from the oak of the old bridge.

One other relic is the dagger that William Walworth, Lord Mayor of London, stabbed Wat Tyler with.

Tours: Elizabethan & Stuart London

Themes: IndustryIndustry Theme  RiverRiver Theme  FoodFood Theme
Fishmonger's Hall

One of the oldest businesses still in the same line 700 years on

Ranking This Month: 1082/2920

Pages Hit This Month: 42


Credits: http://www.fishhall.co.uk/


Fishmonger's Hall


Fishmonger's Hall

Other places nearby:


Tompion and Graham Clockmakers», 0.8km

Freemans Started Here», 2.5km

Andrex 2-ply invented here», 6.1km

Tom Bata's Shoe Factory», 21.km

Inventor James Wimshursts Home», 4.0km

Markfield Beam Engine Museum», 5.1km

Napiers Rolls Royce made here», 7.3km

The Ivory House», 0.7km

Richard Branson born here», 8.7km

The Saatchi & Saatchi Letters», 355km

Location Pinpointed: