Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
20th September 1989 Musical Miss Saigon, premieres in London
20th September 1938 Emlyn Williams' Corn is Green, premieres in London
20th September 1721 Irish actor Thomas Doggett, founder of the Doggett's Coat and Badge boat race, died in London.
Whipps Cross Lido
This is where the muddy Whipps Cross Lido used to be!
Location: Snaresbrook Road, Walthamstow
Description: The Hollow Ponds Bathing Pool was dug out here in 1905 and fed by natural springs at this Southern edge of Epping Forest.
Despite works to progressively line the bathing pond with concrete in the 1920s, the pool remained renowned for its mud!
In 1932 6,000 was spent, in a joint effort by Leyton & Walthamstow borough councils, to further improve conditions for swimming. Four large dressing rooms were provided and a great deal of mud was reportedly removed from the bottom of the pool during the work to level and cleanse the pool. The pool was still described as irregularly oval at this stage, but with a straight 100 yard section for racing.
This very large pool, 300ft by 130ft, was also connected to a unique 63ft diameter and 10ft deep circular diving basin.
The pool was closed for 2 summers in 1970 and 1971, but was reopened after a 29,000 refurbishment. It was reported that the pool suffered from extensive vandalism during 1970-71 and 24-hour security was introduced when the pool was re-opened to combat this problem.
The pool was closed for good in September 1982 and was demolished in 1983.
Difficult to spot now, since it was filled in.