William Tierney Clark lived here
William Tierney Clark, designer of bridges, lived here
Location: 7 Hammersmith Terrace, Hammersmith, W6
Description: William Tierney Clark (1783-1852)designed the first suspension bridge to span the River Thames - Hammersmith Bridge, which opened in 1827. He was a civil engineer at the West Middlesex Water Works.
And he lived in this very house - in fact he lived and died in Hammersmith with his memorial in the local parish church, St Paul's, showing an outline of his design for the nearby bridge - since replaced by a design by Sir Joseph Bazalgette. Further afield, there is a street in Buda named after him and he is commemorated by an annual award made by the Association of Hungarian Consulting Engineers and Architects: the Tierney Clark Award for Civil Engineering.
|
William Tierney Clark, designer of bridges, lived here |
Ranking This Month: 1706/3085
Pages Hit This Month: 134
Your Comments:
Other places nearby:
Fairfield Works: Strike a Light!», 9.9km
Tom Bata's Shoe Factory», 28.km
Explosive Dryads' Hall», 17.km
Markfield Beam Engine Museum», 10.km
William Morris' Birthplace», 11.km
Thomas Crapper was here», 3.4km
The Imperial Hotel», 5.5km
Tetley's Home of Tea», 7.0km
News International HQ», 7.7km
The Time Ball», 10.km
Location Pinpointed:
Open Street Maps», Google Maps»
