Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
17th December 1942 Allies in London sentence German war criminals
17th December 1936 Born today: Tommy Steele, London, singer/actor ( a Sixpence, Finian's Rainbow)
17th December 1891 Born today: Robertson Hare, London England, actor (Our Girl Friday, Banana Ridge)
Mr Train's Trams
The 1st horse-drawn tram service ran routes in London, 1861
Location: Kennington, SE11
Description: In 1952, after nearly a century of service the tram made its final appearance in London. The very last tram to rumble along the capital's streets arrived at south-east London's New Cross depot in the early hours of this morning. It was driven by John Cliff, deputy chairman of London Transport Executive, who began his career as a tram driver.
But trams had been around since 1861 when they were introduced into the London sprawl by a 'Mr Train'.
George Francis Train, (March 24, 1829 to January 5, 1904) was a businessman, author, and an eccentric figure in American history. While in Europe in the 1870s, he met and persuaded the Queen of Spain to back the construction of a railway in the backwoods of Pennsylvania...the beginning of the Atlantic and Great Western railroad. Train then went onto promote and build the first tramways in Britain in the face of strong opposition.
The first horse-drawn tram service ran routes in Bayswater, Victoria and Kennington from 1861.