Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
24th May 1953 Born today: Alfred Molina, London, actor (Enchanted April, Prick up your Ears)
24th May 1908 John Masefields Tragedy of Nan, premieres in London
24th May 1899 The state apartments at Kensington Palace opened to the public for the first time.
24th May 1890 Tivoli Theater of Varities opens in London
24th May 1879 James Walker's original Vauxhall toll bridge was opened up for free by the Prince of Wales.
24th May 1819 Queen Victoria is born at Kensington Palace.
White Chapel & Altab Ali Park
This is the park named after the murdered Bangali worker.
Location: Adler Street, Tower Hamlets, London
Description: The name Whitechapel came from the chapel called St Mary Matfelon, which had limestone white walls, and was found here in Altab Ali Park.
The chapel was originally built in the 13th century and the last of a series of chapels with this name was so badly damaged in World War 2 that it was pulled down after the war.
Its floor plan can be seen in the park marked with limestone as can a few of the original graves.
Matfelon was the name of the family responsible for the 14th century building.
St Mary Matfelon's Churchyard was renamed Altab Ali Park by Tower
Hamlets Council in 1998 in memory of a young Bengali clothing worker from Cannon Street Road, stabbed to
death in Adler Street in a racist murder on 4 May 1978.
The bases to the doorway to the chapel that was destroyed in WWII can be found at the Altab Ali Gate which has modern Bengali-style tops to reflect the local communities.