Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
14th August 1948 The first Summer Olympics to be held since 1936, were closed in London.
14th August 1941 Josef Jakobs, German spy, executed in Tower of London
14th August 1903 Born today: Ronald Stewart, CEO (London Brick Co)
14th August 1867 Forsyte Saga author John Galsworthy was born in Kingston Upon Thames.
14th August 1802 Poet and novelist Letitia Elizabeth Landon (LEL) was born in Chelsea, London.
Moll King's Houses of Ill Repute
These are the houses built by Tom King's notorious Coffee Shop.
Location: 106 Haverstock Hill, Chalk Farm
Description: These 4 grand Georgian houses opposite the Sir Richard Steele Pub are reputedly the houses that dodgy Covent Garden coffee house legend Tom King's wife built with the proceeds of vice.
Tom King's Coffee House (later known as Moll King's Coffee House) was a notorious establishment in the 18th century.
And Moll? She was Londons most famous whore. Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders was allegedly based on Moll King. She continued to run the coffee house until around 1745, when she retired to live here in her villa. She died on 17 September 1747, leaving a large fortune.
Next door lived Sir Richard Steele, editor of The Spectator, famed for his contentious sympathies for the victims of the citys burgeoning sex industry.