Tours | Categories (New, Hot) | Map
Alcohol - Ancient - Animal - Architecture - Art - Aviation - Boxing - Celebrity - Charity - Children - Church - Cinema - Comedy - Crime - Dance - Death - Disaster - Drugs - Fashion - Food - Gambling - Ghost - Grave - Health - Historical - Industry - Justice - LGBT - Literary - Look Up - Medical - Military - Motoring - Murder - Museum - Music - Nature - Naval - Paranormal - Pioneer - Poetry - Police - Politics - Pub - Public Amenities - Quirky - Religion - Retail - Ripper - River - Royalty - Science - Sculpture - Sex - Signs - Society - Sport - Subterranean - Technology - Theatre - Train - Transport - Tube - TV - Weather -
IN THE NEWS
TOUR OF THE MONTH
ON THIS DAY IN LONDON
23rd August 1940 German Luftwaffe begins night bombing on London
23rd August 1933 First televised boxing match took place in London, between Archie Sexton and Laurie Raiteri.
23rd August 1905 Born today: Leonard Constant Lambert, London England, composer (King Pest)
23rd August 1617 1st one-way streets open (London)
The Monument.... is leaning!
The Monument - view the Thames for 2 quid at 202 feet.
Location: Near King William Street, EC4R 9AA
Description: The Monument, designed by Sir Christopher Wren and Dr Robert Hooke to commemorate the Great Fire of London was built in 1677 and has been welcoming visitors for over 300 years. Standing 202 feet high, the Monument is the tallest isolated stone column in the world. It's height is the exact distance from where the Great Fire was started in Pudding Lane.
The column was completed in 1677, and in accordance with Wren's original intention, was at first used as a place for certain experiments of the Royal Society, but vibrations caused by ceaseless traffic proved too great for the success of these experiments and they were discontinued; thereafter the Monument became a place of historic interest, unique of its kind, providing visitors with an opportunity to look across London in all directions from a height of about 160 feet, being the level of the public gallery.
Six people have jumped from the top to their deaths, causing the viewing gallery to be enclosed in 1842.
It was renovated and re-opened to the public in Feb 2009, along with the findings that it is now leaning slightly (2 feet from being dead straight).
Tagged in this Tour: Curios
Tagged in this Tour: Scientific Tour
Tagged in this Tour: Elizabethan & Stuart London
Tagged in this Tour: London 2012